Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Professional Pants and Costly Clothes

I'm finally entering the "real world." I no longer attend college and have the cushion of school as my "job." I have to work. This is a big transition period that I know everyone goes through...but who has the money to afford anything? Now that I need adult clothes the cost kills me. I don't want to spend $60+ on a pair of black pants. But I don't want to get a pair of cheap ones that will fall apart in a year either. Where can I draw the line? What constitutes an investment piece? What if you don't like it after you buy it? Sometimes pants get all baggy after wearing them. What if I just spent $60 on a pair of baggy pants I hate?!

I'm also finding it hard to find my personal work-clothes style. I want to be fun and inviting, so I look at bright colors and exciting pieces of clothing. However, I know I should look professional...but wearing a suit or fancy pants every day just doesn't seem right. I don't know what direction to take. I want to teach little kids. It doesn't make sense, if I'm going to be sitting on the floor all day, to invest in a pencil skirt or dress pants. It REALLY doesn't make sense to wear heels for the same reason. I'm on my feet all day. I've done a lot of teaching in flats and you know what happens after a few days? Your feet hurt. There's no support in those things! But I can't wear boots all the time. And wearing gym shoes is a big no-no. I have yet to find a good option there.

And what about general out-and-about attire? Is it okay as a teacher to wear almost whatever when you're not teaching? I'm not planning on wearing booty-shorts or bikini tops out and about, but I am a young teacher. A recent graduate. I'd like to wear some clothing geared toward my age group. But I want to be a professional. Ugh!

As silly as this all sounds, I really am confused. I know that I can do a good job, but I'd like my appearance to reflect that. I want my coworkers, boss, students, and my student's family to respect me. ...but dress pants and finger paints don't always mix. And I don't have the money to spend on a bunch of dress clothes...or any investment pieces for that matter.

Anyone have any insight to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment