Thursday, September 12, 2013

Trouble Accepting Honey Boo Boo

There are a few things in life that are not particularly my favorite. If I can avoid them I often feel better in the long run. I'd rather surround myself with words, actions, etc. that I enjoy than with words or actions I already dislike. One of the things I have been unsure of and not too willing to see: Honey Boo Boo.

I'm not quite sure how Honey Boo Boo came to be such a favorite for viewers beyond the extreme craziness factor. So when her family got their own show I was very reluctant to watch. TLC has changed a lot over the years and some of the shows they put out on tv now-a-days just isn't to my liking. It's just personal preference. So I will avoid those shows. I don't want to watch them, so I don't try to.

However, when I saw that Honey Boo Boo's mother was getting married, I was a little intrigued. Weddings are interesting and exciting to me. I don't enjoy watching Bridezillas, but I like watching Say Yes To The Dress, I Found The Gown, etc. At my age a lot of my friends and peers from college/high school are starting to get engaged and married. Beyond tv shows displaying weddings for their viewers, I'm also exposed to weddings, wedding planning, and wedding everything on Facebook and Pinterest. It's a tough subject to escape. Though I'm far off from getting married, I've found weddings much more interesting these past years from the amount of exposure I've experienced. This made me interested in what was going to happen with Honey Boo Boo's family and this wedding.

I feel the need to state that I have never watched an entire episode of Honey Boo Boo before. However, leading up to the wedding episode...I was too interested and watched about half an episode before the final wedding episode. And as I watched the wedding episode, I was really happy for them. The mother, June, and her man, Sugar Bear (I'm a little surprised everyone calls him that...), were finally getting married. They looked really happy, especially Sugar Bear. They seem to care for each other and had a really special day.

Realization came over me after that. I had judged this family before I had even watched an episode. They seemed a little odd to me, so I didn't give them a chance. But watching their wedding made me realize that they are a caring family and shared in something special that most people want to experience in their life. They aren't so different.

I'm a big supporter of accepting everyone as often and as much as you can. But sometimes I catch myself having trouble doing so. People that walk around late at night, teenagers in dark hoodies/clothes outside of a gas station - I assume these people aren't "good," so I avoid them. Same goes for Honey Boo Boo's family. It's not the exact same correlation, but the idea is the same - I assume these people are ____, so I avoid them.

I've come across many instances in my life where I knew people that held judgments of others and I accepted the judged. I don't see why I can't try to do the same when it comes to my own judgments. I believe most of my judgments are based on previous situations or how I was brought up. I'd like to try and give people a chance before my judgments arise. If I do give people a chance, and find I do not like them for 'x' or 'y' reason, it does not mean that we don't have similarities and can't get along. And it most certainly does not mean that they or I should treat each other in a rude/hurtful/disrespectful way based on our personal preference.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment