Monday, October 3, 2011

I Love My Grandma

Hello everyone,

This past week has been such a blur. So much has happened.

I celebrated my birthday first with my grandma and mom and later with some friends. It was great to be able to celebrate with both ends of the spectrum. The day of my birthday was a football game so the night was spent eating dinner with my dad and step mom. It was an iffy sort of birthday - many ups and downs. I wasn't sure how I felt about it. I'm still unsure how I feel about it.

A few days later I ended up sick. Mainly body aches, chills, a headache, and a 101 degree fever. This cold (or whatever this is) made me sleepy, congested, and coughy. Lovely, right? The progression of yuckiness is not getting much better.

To top it all off, my grandma ended up in the hospital on my birthday. She was very old and had so many health problems, but, regardless, I was scared. I wanted my grandma well. I wanted her to be comfortable and in her room at the retirement home. I had thought for a very long time that I would like her to pass quietly in her sleep. Nothing painful or extended. I hoped we would find one day that she had never woken up. She instead was in the hospital having mini heat attacks and filling with fluid her kidneys could no longer control. I saw her and was able to hear her say, "Oh, hi!" and "I'm fine", but that is all. She was with her children (I had gone back to school to get some work done) when she passed. Her funeral was held today.

My grandma was a trooper. She was technologically savvy, fashionable, and all together with it. Her mind stayed with her even when her body wouldn't. I am so glad I got to spend quality time with her. I'm thinking I may frame/put on display the birthday card she gave me as it's the last thing she signed for me. It was an honor to sing for your funeral, grandma. I just wish I could have held it together so you could have heard some "real music" and not just your blubbering grand daughter. She's probably laughing with my grandpa in heaven saying, "For goodness' sake! They didn't have to make such a fuss".

I love you grandma. Thanks for being you regardless of what life gave you.
Kt

No comments:

Post a Comment