Friday, February 11, 2011

Visiting My Relative's Love

I've gotten over the I'm-so-tired-I-could-just-fall-asleep hump so I decided I should post.

Today was a happy day! I got up feeling fairly peppy and was glad the weather changed to sunny by the time I left for class. When I finished class for the day I drove to my grandmas (without her expecting me) to drop of my Valentine's Day card and flowers (pale pink mums!) and to visit for a while. I love my grandma :D! She's so cute and she's over 90 years old! I think she was happy for the company, especially since we haven't had a chance to just talk in (honestly) years. It was so nice to just have some time to spend with her and to do my own thing while she was eating dinner.

Speaking of doing my own thing, while my grandma was eating I went out to get myself dinner as well as buy some shoes! I have a formal event coming up and I didn't have shoes to go with my dress. I took so long (typical) to find some shoes, especially since the lovely sales assistant told me that everything in the store was buy one get one half off! (Did you know that's what BOGO stands for? It took me so long to figure that out haha. I always thought, "That's a brand, so does that mean that only that brand is on sale? But, that brand doesn't have shoes, does it?") I ended up getting some semi-strappy, silver heels; some patent leather, black pumps (I didn't own any black heels!); some tiny, diamond stud-earrings; and a beautiful, silver ring (it looks like a flower, but has a butterfly in the middle! So cute!).  And the total was much cheaper than one pair of silver heels I saw at another store - go deals!

For dinner I snagged my favorite sandwich at a restaurant that isn't available in my college town - a chicken breast with cheddar cheese, bacon, and barbeque sauce = YUM! (If you haven't noticed, I have this thing for meat + cheese + bacon. I know it pretty much guarantees a heart attack, but it's so good! I promise I usually don't eat it twice in a week. More like once every 2-3 months and that's not so bad.) I'm not a fan of raw tomatoes or red onions so my grandma ate them. She said they were so good haha. (It's probably because they were covered in barbeque sauce.) Do any of you feel the same way as I do about tomatoes? I can't eat them raw, but cooked is delicious. Ketchup, tomato soup, pasta sauce, and pizza sauce are all fantastic, but a raw tomato in a salad or on a sandwich just equals disgusting to me.

Back to grandma! We had such a good time! She introduced me to the other people that live on her floor (she lives in a kind of retirement home) including another woman that's children went to school with my mom. She was so cute! My grandma said, "This is my granddaughter," and she said, "She must be a insert my grandma's last name," and held her hand over her head signaling my height. Bahahaha! I did get a lot of my height from my mom's side of the family - I have an uncle that's 6' 7"! - and that just cracked me up.

Well, grandma, I hope you had a good afternoon and evening hanging out with me! I think we had a good time just chatting and doing some little chores here and there. I hope the mum I brought you blooms and blooms!

I never met either of my grandpa's and my grandma on my dad's side past away while I was in high school (rest in peace, grandma). But I am thankful to have met her and to have my other grandma still be with me. She is such a trooper. Even though her body is giving out on her due to her age she never loses her wit. I love that she can recall very old stories about family members I have never met. It's wonderful to hear the crazy things my grandpa did. He loved to make my grandma mad for fun - never in a hurtful way, in a teasing way. Although I miss my grandparents that I never met or that have left this world I am happy to have their memories live on through my parent's stories and my memories. What about you guys? Are you left with few grandparents? No grandparents? All your grandparents? I wish I had met all of my grandparents, but I am more than happy to be told by my parents that they would have loved me if they met me.

Oh, silly me. I'm getting a little emotional over this. It's just such a blessing to have people that love you, even if they are no longer with you. I think love lives beyond a person's death. Thanks for the love, grandma, grandpa, and grandpa. I love you too.

Kt

No comments:

Post a Comment