Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chicken And Dumplings. Mmmm...

Ug, I'm tired. My fault for writing this so late. Oh well, here it goes!

I'm not a very experienced cook. I'm a spaghetti, soup (from a can), frozen vegetables user on the stove. When I was a kid both of my parents worked so we rarely got to eat home cooked meals together. Take-out was easy, as was anything pre-cooked/pre-packaged. We tried to eat healthy; it just wasn't necessarily a home cooked meal (it wasn't from scratch). Last week I cooked a meal based on a recipe in a magazine and had a lot of fun doing it. It took me 3 hours, but it was fun! I just need to practice and hopefully I'll be quicker, but for right now I'll stick to cooking when I have a free day.

Tonight I was craving chicken and dumplings, so my mom showed me how to cook it the fast way. (Meaning you start with a rotisserie chicken and chicken broth instead of making your own chicken broth with a raw chicken) I'm surprised at how easy it is! Those of you out there who have only had chicken and dumplings out of a can, please try and make it from scratch. It's sooo much better than any canned version. I did love the chicken and dumplings at Bishop's, which I would often go to when I visited my grandma as a child, but they were different than the kind my mom makes. They were more of plate dish where my mom's are a soup dish. Either way is good, but I'm wondering if there are varieties of chicken and dumplings. Has anyone heard of a more plate served version? Or is the soup version the standard?

I'm so tired, you guys. I'm going to floss and brush my teeth, rinse with mouthwash, wash my face, and go to bed. I'll write you tomorrow!

1 comment: